Using Vicks for Toenail Fungus Treatment: Is it Effective?
Toenail fungus is a common foot problem that plagues 1 out of every 4 adults. Approximately 6.3 million people have this embarrassing condition at any one time. Though there are a few pharmaceutical drugs available by prescription and over the counter that will treat the infection, they can cause side effects. An alternative option is to use Vicks for fungal toenail treatment.
Treating Toenail Fungus with Vicks VapoRub
Vicks VapoRub is a mentholated topical cream used to treat symptoms associated with the common cold. The manufacturer’s instruction state that it should only be used on the chest and throat, but many people are using this product as a remedy for toenail fungus. The major ingredients in the product are camphor, eucalyptol, thymol, and menthol. Camphor is an antimicrobial agent and light anesthetic. Eucalyptol has been found to reduce pain and inflammation. Menthol reduces itching, relieves aches and pains, and produces a cooling effect.
However, the main ingredient that works against nail fungus is thymol. This is a derivative of the herb thyme. Researchers studying the effects of vapor rub on nail fungus found that the thymol in the product was most effective at inhibiting the growth of the fungus possibly due to its antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. According to available information, thymol is a lipophilic which allows it to affect the cell membranes of fungus cells and effectively kill them.
How to Kill Toenail Fungus at Home
It is pretty simple to use Vicks VapoRub to treat toenail fungus:
- Clip the toenail as short as possible.
- Clean the feet paying particular attention to the affected nail(s). Thoroughly dry.
- Apply the cream to the nail making sure to get as deep under the nail bed as possible. Rub into any cracks on the nail.
- Wrap the toe in gauze or bandages to prevent the cream from rubbing off. Leave on so the gel can be absorbed by the nail.
- Repeat daily until the infection clears. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months depending on the severity of the infection.
Follow these tips to get the most out of the treatment:
- Trim the infected toenail regularly.
- Keep feet dry. Wear moisture absorbing socks and shoes with adequate ventilation.
- Avoid sharing socks or shoes with other people, particularly if they have toenail fungus infections.
- Always wear shower shoes when using communal showers or going to the pool. Foot fungus thrives in warm damp areas like these and it is easy to pick up an infection if you are not careful.
- Sugary foods feed the infection, so keep blood sugar levels stable by cutting down or completely eliminating cakes, pies, and other sugar-laden foods.
- People with circulatory problems such as diabetes should increase the amount of exercise to improve it. This will help the immune system fight the infection.
Remedies for Fungal Toenails
Using Vicks VapoRub to treat toenail fungus is not for everyone. It can take a long time to see results and it can irritate those with sensitive skin. The best nail fungus medication is one that gets rid of the infection quickly without causing unpleasant side effects and there are a few on the market that meets those qualifications. Go to the homepage (“Home” link at the top of this page) to read our neutral reviews of the top toenail fungus treatments.