Natural Herbs for Nail Fungus Removal
It doesn’t take much for a nail fungus infection to develop. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for treating toenail fungus. It is a very challenging condition to cure because the fungus is situated under the nail plate which protects the fungus from topical medications used to kill it. This is why it often a good idea to pair topical remedies with internal ones that attack the infection from inside the body. Here are a few herbs that can help you treat toe nail fungus and get rid of the embarrassing infection once and for all.
List of Herbs for Treating Nail Fungus
If you are struggling to kill nail fungus in your toenails or fingernails, you may try below mentioned herbs. But please see that these only work for mild infections.
- Garlic: This herb is frequently touted as being beneficial to those suffering from heart disease. However, it is a powerful fungus fighter as well. In addition to eating it, you can juice the garlic and apply a little bit of it to the affected fingernail using a cotton ball. Do this three times per day to maximize the antifungal properties of this herb.
- Chamomile: Frequently enjoyed as tea, this plant has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It has been shown to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungus. Like garlic, you can consume chamomile as a tea. The tea can also be applied directly to the nail up to three times per day.
- Thymol: Derived from the herb thyme, this is a powerful antifungal herb has antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that damage the cell membranes of the fungus. Thymol is found in Vicks VapoRub and similar cold symptom products. As noted before, it is obtained from thyme which is used mainly to flavor food. Thymol can also be purchased from specialty stores or online.
- Green tea: Among its other health benefits, green tea is an antifungal agent that can be used to fight nail fungus. After steeping the tea, apply a few drops onto the affected nail. Drink the rest to boost the body’s fungus fighting processes.
- Ginger root: This herb has been known to reduce inflammation, blood clots, and alleviate cardiovascular conditions. It is also a natural immune system booster which can provide the body with the strength it needs to fight the fungal infection in its system.
- Cayenne: Probably better known as the pepper used to make pepper sprays and similar self-defense products, cayenne peppers are immensely useful for improving blood circulation. This is particularly helpful for people suffering from medical conditions that result in poor circulation like diabetes. Good circulation makes it easier for the body to deliver nutrients and white blood cells to the site of the nail fungus infection.
- Echinacea: A member of the daisy flower family, Echinacea is another immune system booster. It is most effective at treating upper respiratory tract infections, but also provides general support to the body.
Other Helpful Substances
Although not herb, tea tree oil is a good medicine for nail fungus. It is an essential oil extracted from the melaleuca alternifolia tree. Among other things, it is a powerful antifungal agent that has been shown to kill nail fungus dead. It’s pretty strong, though, so you may have to dilute it with another oil – such as lavender oil – before applying it directly onto the nail.You can also use apple cider vinegar for nail fungus infections. It comes as a liquid and as a dietary supplement. It is a good idea to use both to fight your nail infection. Apply the vinegar directly to the affected nail twice per day. You can also combine it with equal parts water and soak your foot in it once per day for 30 minutes until the infection clears.
The above mentioned remedies don’t show significant results in moderate to severe infection. But there are a number of natural products that use a combination of tea tree oil and nail fungus killers to provide quick relief from the infection that is moderate or severe. To find the best nail fungus cure that will get rid of the fungus and help you grow healthy pink nails, read our comprehensive reviews of the top nail infection treatment products around at the homepage (click the “Home” link at the top).