Does Apple Cider Vinegar for Toenail Fungus Work?
By the time people realize they have a fungal infection in their toenails, it’s usually too late. The nails will already have become discolored and misshapen and the only thing left to do is try to clear the infection as quickly as possible. A number of treatments exist that claim to kill toenail fungus fast, but sometimes they can cause terrible side effects. Because of this, many people are wondering if there are ways of treating nail fungus naturally.
Natural remedies for getting rid of toenail and fingernail fungus do exist and apple cider vinegar is one of the more popular treatments to use.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Toenail Fungus Treatment
Also known as cider vinegar, apple cider vinegar (ACV) is made from a mix of apples that have been fermented. While there are other types of vinegar, only apple cider vinegar is used primarily to treat a variety of health issues including acne, allergies, diabetes, heartburn, and even sore throats. It has even been shown to be effective at reducing body fat and frequently used as a weight loss aid.
However, for those wondering does vinegar kill toenail fungus, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that ACV does. The best part about using apple cider vinegar is that it doesn’t cause side effects when used properly. It can adversely affect health if consumed in high doses per day. Additionally, ACV pills can burn sensitive tissues if caught in the throat. Other than that, apple cider vinegar is safe for everyone to use even kids.
It is unknown exactly how apple cider vinegar kills toenail fungus. ACV does have antifungal, antiviral and anti-bacterial properties that may be doing the trick. Used consistently, this natural substance can cure nail and foot fungus.
How to Treat Toenail Fungus Using Apple Cider Vinegar
There are a few ways you can use apple cider vinegar to get rid of nail fungus:
- Apply topically: ACV can be applied directly to the affected nail. First cut the nail as short as possible. Then apply the vinegar to the nail and as far under the nail bed as you can get. Let dry. Do this three times per day until the infection has cleared away.
- Foot soak: Make a mixture of one part vinegar and one part water. Make sure the water is warm but not too hot. Soak feet at least 30 minutes once per day. Not only will this treat the nail fungus, it will also get rid of athlete’s foot. Follow up by massaging the foot with tea tree oil which is another powerful antifungal agent.
- Dietary supplement: You can also take apple cider vinegar as a daily dietary supplement that will help fight the infection from the inside. Drink a combination of a tablespoon of ACV and 8 ounces of water three times per day. Alternatively, this vinegar also comes in pill form. Follow the manufacturer’s dosing instructions.
As noted before, there are several different kinds of vinegar and many of them are used in naturopathic remedies for an assortment of ailments. In fact, you may be wondering if you should use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to kill your infection. While white vinegar does kill fungal infections, it is too harsh on the skin and can cause you to break out in a rash.
How to Get Rid of Nail Fungus
Follow these tips to maximize the results you get from using apple cider vinegar to cure your toenail fungus:
- Clip toenails on a regular basis.
- Toenail fungus thrives in moist warm areas. Keep feet dry. Walk around barefoot or in sandals as much as possible.
- Avoid sharing socks or shoes with other people. You will avoid spreading the disease to others as well as getting it again.
- If you frequently use public showers or pool areas, spray feet with apple cider vinegar or another antifungal agent to kill any fungus that may try to invade your toes and feet.
- Eliminate or cut back on the amount of sugar you eat. Sugar feeds the fungus and can make the infection worse.
- People with circulatory problems such as diabetes should increase the amount of exercise to improve it. This will help the immune system fight the infection.
It will take a while to see results from using apple cider vinegar to cure your toenail fungus. With consistent effort, though, you should achieve healthy clear nails within a few months. One option to speed up the process is to use a nail fungus treatment product made from a variety of natural ingredients that will kill the fungus quickly and stimulate the growth of healthy nails. For information on the top products that have been proven to work, check out the comprehensive nail fungus cure recommendations on the homepage